Wednesday 14 July 2010

Life as a new councillor - from Gillian Risso-Gill

I am delighted to have been elected LibDem Councillor for West Hampstead on 6th May and would like to thank the 1,688 constituents who voted for me, as well as my fellow ward councillors, Keith Moffitt and John Bryant, for their support and guidance.

Although we're no longer in administration, the Lib Dems are the second largest party on Camden Council and the official Opposition, so we can challenge the Labour Administration on behalf of our constituents in what will be challenging and straitened times.

As a councillor I'm a member of a variety of committees - Development Control (or planning in plainspeak), Licensing, Health Scrutiny, Standards and Staff Appeals, which is keeping me busy, in addition to case work and surgeries for constituents on alternate Fridays at 156 West End Lane. I'll also be a Governor of Beckford School.

As a Councillor I have learnt that I need to:

- be able to read vast amounts of paperwork that is delivered to my home twice a week as well the dozens of daily emails
- give up on a social life on weekdays as there is a Council or community group meeting nearly every night!
- get used to eating supper at 10.30pm
- become as agile as a mountain goat in navigating the stairs and steps of West Hampstead properties when delivering Spotlight.

I'm very much looking forward to being a councillor for such a fascinating area. More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment